Stay at Our Historic Bed and Breakfast in Maryland
Frederick Inn Bed & Breakfast is located in the quaint village of Buckeystown, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is surrounded by a large lawn and gardens situated on 2.2 acres of pastoral property.
The original house was built in 1897 by Charles E. Keller, owner of a nearby limestone quarry. He was 46 at the time. Although it was constructed late in the Victorian Era, the house was designed in the colonial revival style. Keller reportedly had it modeled after a residence that he had seen in Rockville.
Mr. Keller was an educated man who had been successfully employed in both blacksmithing and coach making. Upon the death of his father, Charles and his brother O.J. took charge of the family business of lime mining and processing. In 1899, when he lost his brother, Charles incorporated the O.J. Keller Lime Company. Mr. Keller was elected President of the company and remained so until his death in 1917. [Note: the Keller Lime Plant Road still exists less than ¼ mile north of the inn. The quarry site is now the location of the Xa Loi Temple, a Buddhist retreat.]
Charles and Vallieta Keller had five children; among them was Minnie, who lived in the area for many years, and was fondly remembered as a wonderful teacher.
Charles died in 1917, at the age of 66. Vallieta, Minnie, and Charles Jr. remained in the house until the mother’s death in 1938.
After the departure of the Kellers in 1938, the property was turned over to Citizens National Bank of Frederick. Since then it has had several owners:
- In 1939, after the Great Depression, Gilmore Flautt purchased the property from the bank for investment purposes. It is reported that he ran it as a type of boarding house during World War 2, and that the building was not well kept.
- In 1946, Charles and Ella Kehne bought the property and were responsible for the renovation and restoration of the wonderful home. The following year, they purchased an adjacent property, that had once been the home of an abandoned nineteenth century church (see below).
- 1966 brought Lester Patterson and Domenick Palmer who turned the yard into a gardener’s delight.
- In 1972, John and Janet Hane, of Hane Decorating of Frederick, took ownership and continued to return the home to its original splendor (although according to some witnesses, there is no accounting for taste).
- 1977 brought Kenneth and Pricilla Lloyd (and their two children) who also performed major renovations on the residence.
- In 1981, Dan Pelz and Marty Martinez converted the building into the Inn at Buckeystown. They created a romantic getaway that was highly acclaimed throughout the mid-Atlantic region. Upon the passing of Marty, Chase Barnett became Dan’s new partner and host. The inn was known for fine dining, comfortable lodging, and a vast collection of antiques.
- Janet Wells became the next owner in 1998. She carried on the traditions of the previous innkeepers. Janet was particularly appreciated for her tea parties, bridal showers, and weddings.
- The present owners, Kirk and Pat Horstman, acquired the inn in 2012. They immediately set about restoring the building to its former glory, inside and out. The project took more than three years. To their great jubilation, the business was finally re-opened in 2015.
No architectural plans are known to exist. The first floor is comprised of a dining room, 3 parlors, a butler’s pantry, and a fully licensed commercial kitchen. The second floor contains 5 suites with private bathrooms. The third floor contains 4 bedrooms with shared bathrooms and a common sitting area.
One of the most striking features is the main staircase located in the center hallway. The wainscoting and banisters are all constructed from American chestnut. This type of hardwood is now very rare after a blight obliterated the species in the early 1900s.
An interesting fact is that there once was a Methodist Episcopal church on the property. The 1820s church was abandoned due to the tensions of the Civil War, and later demolished in 1905, when the stones were used for foundations of nearby homes. We challenge you to find the remnants of the cemetery located on the property.